Interesting Staycation Ideas for Cruisers in Lockdown
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED LINKS. FIND MORE INFO IN OUR DISCLAIMER.
Were are all in the same boat! Everything is on pause and all we can do is think about travel and cruising. Being stuck at home and can’t travel or cruise anywhere at the moment, that sucks! Don’t worry; treat this as a staycation holiday and we have some great ideas to get you thinking travel and cruising thought this difficult time and hopefully inspire you to cruise well in the not too distant future.
- Make a To-Do list of all the places you want to visit
- Do a Jigsaw puzzle of destinations you have visited
- Organsise your travel Phonto
- Create a Photobook of your favorite cruises
- Indulge in Travel Movies
- Learn a new Language
- Learn about Travel Photography
- Read long overdue cruise and travel books
MAKE A BUCKET LIST
So what is a bucket list? Quite simply, it is a collection of goals, dreams and aspirations that you would like to accomplish with your travels.
The basic meaning of a bucket list is to keep track of your goals and to take steps to achieve these goals in order to maximize the incredible experiences in your life. Simple really, but a Bucket List can be a powerfull reminder of those things you need to do. For cruisers it needs to be all about all those beautiful places you have yet to visit.
Most people have a wish list of destinations or cruises they want to do. You may have thought about it in the past, but actually never got round to making the trip. Add them all to your To-Do list.
We like to organize cruises around themes; for example Food and Wine Cruises, The Monaco Grand Prix or the Rivers of Europe. Other goals we have set were to visit the tallest building and in the world, cruise all of the Oceans of the World and cruise on the main Rivers of Europe.
DO A JIGSAW OF PLACES YOU HAVE BEEN TO
- exercises the left and right sides of your brain at once
- Jigsaw puzzles improve your short-term memory
- Jigsaw puzzles improve your visual-spatial reasoning
- Jigsaw puzzles are a great meditation tool and stress reliever
- Jigsaw puzzles are a great way to connect with family
- Conversely, jigsaw puzzles are great for some needed alone time
Puzzling is perfect for people who want a quiet, solo break from the bustle and unrelenting stimulus of today’s digital lifestyle. Studies show that people who do jigsaw and crossword puzzles have longer life spans with fewer chances of developing Alzheimer’s disease, memory loss or dementia.
Puzzling stimulates the brain and actually wards off the plaque that is the marker of Alzheimer’s, according to a recent study published in the Archives of Neurology. The study compared brain scans of 75-year-olds to 25-year-olds. The elderly people who did puzzles regularly had brain scans comparable to the 25-year-olds.
Doing jigsaw puzzles is good for your mind, body and spirit. So when you are ready, put your phone on “Do Not Disturb,” and get swept away by a puzzle.
CREATE A PHOTOBOOK
Creating your own work of art with a Photobook is a brilliant way to share your cruise experiences. They do take a while to produce, but the end result is so satisfying. We try to produce a photobook after each of our annual long cruises and have them as coffee table items. Our grandchildren simply love them!
One of the Best Photobook maker web sites is Photobox. We have used them for many of our favourite cruise trips and they really work well.
So here are 5 good reasons why you should create a photobook.
- They are tactile and your Hands and Eyes will love them along with your family and friends
- There are many ways to customise the look and feel of your photo book
- It will bring our the Photographer in You with amazing results
- Photo Books encourage conversation
- They are very affordable with regular offers tempting you to try the. Once bitten you will never look back!
Organize your Cruise photos
It’s fun to make some photo albums as well, and before you know it, you’re feeling like you’re cruising again. There are some great tools for helping you do this, including Photoshop and Lightroom both of which we use for all our photography. If you are not familiar with these products, there are many good books to read on the subject,
We tend to focus on the destination as our goto guideline for a travel and cruise related movies. This is when they say ‘the destination becomes the star’.
To rent or buy a movie to inspire you to travel right now, check out Amazon Instant Video
Learn a New Language
The lockdown or staycation is a perfect time to learn a new language and it is easy to do on your iPad or iPhone. There are many great apps that help you and many of them are Free. We particularly like Duolingo which is helping us to learn Italian at the moment. There are many other language choices and the basic product is free to use if you are prepared to watch a few advertisements!
Discover great Cruise content on YouTube
Learn about travel photography
Whenever you travel or go on a cruise, you will have noticed some folks with expensive camera gear snapping at everything. Some of them clearly know what they are doing, but a surprising number simply don’t have a clue how to use their equipment.
Some of these very high-end Nikon or Canon DSLR cameras are often set to automatic which rather defeats the object of such powerful cameras. Our photography tips for cruise travellers covers some of the simple things when it comes to travel photography.
If you want a great book to get you started, read Lonely Planet’s Guide to Travel Photography and start taking pictures.
Read CRUISE RELATED Books
If you like to read anything to do with cruising as much as we do, then why not use your staycation to check out some of our favourite cruise-related books here. You might also like our Guide to the 10 Best Cruise Books.
- Ship for Brains: Cruise Confidential 2: Cruise Confidential Series, Book 2
- Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties? One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships (Travelers’ Tales)
- The Truth About Cruise Ships: A Cruise Ship Officer Survives the Work, Adventure, Alcohol, and Sex of Ship Life
- Cruise Ship Creatures: A Field Guide to the Curious Creatures Who Holiday on Cruise Ships (Cruising Fun, Book 1)
- Secret Cruise Tips For The First Time Cruiser: Your Key To An Enjoyable And Stress-Free Cruise Holiday
- Alpha Code! Fire On-board!